Ever since we returned from Christmas break to Lynchburg, I have been praying for snow. Since Scott and I recently decided we would take the Texas bar exam, I knew that my time on the east coast was running short. In addition, snow in Virginia is different than snow in Texas. In Texas, there is sleet and flurries and then it quickly disappears. In Virginia, there is snow, mounds of it, and it falls for hours, sometimes days. So, I began to pray for one last snowfall.
Last Sunday Scott and I were in Virginia Beach for a competition he competed in. When word reached the beach that snow was headed to Lynchburg, I literally leaped with bounds of joy as if I reverted back to my childhood. Surrounded by law students and professors, you can imagine the looks I received. However, nothing could contain my excitement of the news that we would get around six inches of snow. So, we packed up and headed back to Lynchburg, but not even the 6 am early departure would ruin my utter joy.
The snow began falling about an hour after we got home and fell for about twelve straight hours. Being that I was physically exhausted from the weekend, I opened the curtains, raised the blinds, and laid in bed watching the snow fall until I fell asleep. It was heaven on earth. Watching the snow made me want to get outside in it, so around eight in the evening, I asked Scott if he wanted to take a walk with me in the snow. Being that I am more of an "indoorsy" girl and that Scott is quite the athletic opposite, he jumped at the idea. So, we got all bundled up, got our hot tea and cider in hand, and charged out the door. Again, heaven on earth.
As we walked, Scott and I began to talk. I wanted to talk about what I had been thinking about all day watching the snow, and the chance to walk in the snow and talk about the meaning of snow was much more romantic than merely talking about the snow. So, we walked and we talked. The scenery: dark, quiet, peaceful, snowy, cold night. Topic: snow and God.
As I watched the snow fall softly all day, my mind went to snow and God. I first thought about how peaceful snow is. Even as I am sitting here now, there is a thunderstorm outside. I love a good thunderstorm. However, when it rains, you can hear it fall and the purpose of rain is to replenish the earth. But when it comes to snow, you cannot hear it fall. When rain falls, it is to replenish the earth; when snow falls it is for pure beauty sake. This got me thinking about the different attributes of God through nature. Rain equals replenishment. Storms show God's vengeance and power. Snow, however, resembles his still, small voice and peace. And it reminds me of how he washed my sins white as snow in a fresh way unlike any other form of nature.
So, I am grateful for the snowfall we had this past weekend. Not only was it fun to be in the snow, but it reminded me of God's amazing peace. It reminded me of the ways He has continually come into my life like the silent snow: quiet, uninhibited, peaceful, purifying, and merely to beautify my heart towards Him. So that is why I am grateful for the beautiful snowfall. God is good.
May you be reminded that God loves you so much, he washed your sins white as snow, may you always be in tune to His still small voice, and may you feel His peace in your life.
Until next time be blessed........
No comments:
Post a Comment