So, I haven't posted anything in a few weeks, and that is mainly because I have been in a huge transitioning period in my life the past few weeks. I returned from Guatemala, spent a week in Dallas with my posse to celebrate Jessica's wedding festivities, and then moved back home to Georgetown...indefinitely. I have finished unpacking and getting my things situated in my room. I keep telling myself that I am living here temporarily, so I don't need to get too comfortable, but the more I unpack, the more permanant this living arrangement feels. I will have to say that I have struggled with the idea of moving back home for a very long time. I would be lying if I said that I don't still struggle with the fact. It is not because I don't want to be near my parents because that is false. I have been blessed with wonderful parents with whom I have a fantastic relationship. I think it is just the stereotype that people who move back home get that rubs me the wrong way. I have been asked about a million times what I am doing now that I have graduated from college. I want to scream every time I am asked this and say, "Well since I got rejected from numerous law schools and can't find a job paying more than $10 per hour with a college degree, I am not sure, so for now I am living at home bumming off my parents!" This is only what I feel like saying. I would like to call this my sassy side, which I tend to have. This side of me does not always make me proud either...I am in the process of learning to tame the sassyness. In response to this question, I have just learned to smile and say, "I am not sure. I am in a period of waiting on the Lord right now." People smile back, say good, while silently judging about how unproductive and unmotivated they think that I am. I have come to grips with the fact that I am 22 years old, live with the parents, and am unemployed. I am not sure how long this peace will last.....
If you are wondering where I am going from here...I am too! As I searched for a job the other night, I found one that seemed to suit me at a local orphanage. My parents were very excited that I found a job that I might enjoy, until I told them that they pay started out at $10 an hour. My dad said, "That is not very much money for a college graduate." To which I slyly replied, "It is more than I am making sitting here on this couch!" Sassy remark numero uno. Did I mention that I am working on taming my sassyness? Well, I am, but sometimes it is just more fun to release my inner thoughts and create a zing effect....
Amidst all this frustration and uncertainty, my dad and I have joked about me being unemployed and a college graduate. He did mention that Sonic, Pizza Hut, and the job being the Cow at Chick-fil-A are all open. He also mentioned being a dressed up chicken at the Dell Diamond Baseball field would be a good job and that they were indeed hiring. My job would entail running around the field in a dot race, and doing the chicken dance during the seven inning stretch. To this, I sassed off sassy remark numero dos saying something to the effect that you couldn't pay me enough. These were all said in jest, but I am beginning to think that my dad wants me to get a job. My most recent (and sassiest remark if I may say) when my dad referred to me as unemployed or gave another bright employment idea was something to the effect of: "Dad, I am on a sabbatical." Luckily, I have a father with a wonderful sense of humor and we laughed off at my sassy (and rather witty if I may say) remark. I got a new short haircut...maybe this is why I feel the need to be so sassy lately...
While I said this to my father in jest, I began to think as I walked away from this conversation. What exactly is a sabbatical? So, I decided to look it up. What I found was a pleasant surprise. A sabbatical is something that brings a "period of rest." There were many more definitions for this word, but this is the one that I liked the best and that I felt fit closest to my life right now. I do feel as if I am on a sabbatical of sorts. I am taking a break from school, work, etc. and I have most assuredly found rest. In Guatemala, I learned so much about myself, others, and got a glimpse of my place in this world. I feel as if my passion for people was reignited. I want to make a difference. When I say I have discovered much about myself, it is in the places of rest that I have found out the most. Now, all I have to do is figure out how to make my dreams and goals come true. It is going to be something that I am going to have to work hard at, but after the trip to Guatemala, I am ready for the challenge!
My dad helped me move my desk upstairs next to his tonight. He was against the idea at first because he thought that is might make the room cluttered. I told him that I needed a place to work. He laughed and said, "What do you need to work on?!?" I laughed back and just said, "Stuff." I also believe that this is where I also inserted sassy remark numero I've lost count....I told him that maybe if I had a place to work I would be motivated to work on the LSAT again or get a job. I also secretly hoped that if my desk is next to his, I will be motivated and become as smart as my dad by osmosis...so far it has been an unsuccessful attempt. After much discussion (which happens often because we don't argue, we "discuss") and probing, my desk was up here next to his, begging to be decorated and used. So, here I am, sitting at my computer at my rather cute desk realizing that even though my life hasn't turned out the way that I envisioned it upon graduation from college, I know that God has a plan for me. I was talking to a friend the other night and he mentioned to me that a pastor said that we are to be content where God has placed us. He went further to explain that coveting is the opposite of contenment and that we are not to covet or ask God to put us in a place that we are not. After all, why would God move us onto bigger and better things when we have not mastered satisfaction where we are? So, here I am learning to be content where God has placed me...
So I guess you could say that the theme of this blog is that I am sassy and satisfied. Both of these things I am working on....I am working on not being quite so sassy and being more satisfied. I am beginning to feel more comfortable with the idea of living here...so much so that I have started unpacking a few boxes that I boxed up for my next apartment...just a few things to make the space that I live in feel more like home. So after decorating and unpacking and after the shell shock factor has passed away, here I am, once again, waiting on the Lord to show me the next stage of my life.
So that is what is going on in the world of Amy D right now...I know that my faithful readers are so excited about my riveting tale of my desk being moved upstairs next to my fathers, but being the unemployed college graduate that I currently am, this is about the extent of my excitement in life. I did go see Get Smart last night, which I would highly recommend. Steve Carell is pretty hilarious! Anyways, as soon as a door is opened into the next stage of my life, I will let you all know and hopefully next time something more exciting will be going on in my life! Until next time...be blessed!
3 comments:
Ames, I know you think that people do not read your blog, especially the really long posts, but I did today. Being satisfied? What a wonderful slap in the face! I find myself complaining about more than I should these day. Oh to be satisfied with what I have been given in this moment... looks like we both have growing room, and its nice to know I am not alone. Love you!
Ames I miss you so much! I wish so much we could lie in our collins 333 beds and come up with random amazing ideas in the middle of the night or just talk about everything.
Enjoy this time of in betweenness. I have so much going on in my life right now I feel like all I do is make plans. I would love to take some time to sit down and breathe. I love you ames! I'm waiting on you to come see me!!!!!
Katie
amy! i haven't read your blog in a while, but you're hilarious! i laughed out loud at work about all of the "job possibilities" that your dad recommended! but i know exactly what you're saying about all of the pressure! you have a great response though! everything will work out though! happy searching.
Post a Comment