Monday, November 3, 2008

Back to the Real World....

Homecoming has come and gone and so here I am, back to the real world. I realize I miss college...a lot....I have nothing left to say about that because it is rather upsetting, so I will just give you an update on the past week or so of my life.

Last Wednesday, I got to partake in "The Great Pumpkin Hunt" for the first time in my life. What is "The Great Pumpkin Hunt," you may be asking yourself. Well I am glad you asked. It is a HUGE hunt around the entire town of Georgetown amongst the youth at First Baptist Church. Each clue leads them one step closer to the prize..."The Great Pumpkin." What or who is "The Great Pumpkin" you may be asking yourself...well I am glad you asked. It is a person dressed up in a pumpkin outfit that is hiding in the church. Interesting, I know. So, yes, these kids drive all over town looking for clues leading them to a person dressed up as a pumpkin. That is the end. The way these kids compete you would think that there is a HUGE, fantastic prize awaiting them at the conclusion of this mad game, but all that awaits them at the church once the pumpkin is found is cookies, hot chocolate, and bragging rights for a year until next year's harvest season comes around. This was a fun and crazy experience to say the least. There were over 300 youth that attended and my dad was "The Great Pumpkin." I wish I had a picture of my dad dressed in a pumpkin outfit to post here for everyone's amusement, but alas, I do not. It was a fun night to say the least....and I got assigned to be the driver for a car full of boys so you can imagine the conversation in the backseat, and the stories I have to take away from this most interesting experience....Is God preparing me for something...maybe...maybe not. All I have to say is that I learned far more about the young male mind that night than I ever hoped.....

As far as work is going...I am enjoying it more and more each day. The company that I am with is in the process of doubling their rental property and is building 80 new town homes. The past week or so I have been going out to the new site in the afternoons. This has been chopping my afternoons up a bit and making the days go by much faster. I am busier, which is always a good thing!

Now to the good stuff....this past weekend was Baylor homecoming!!! I have decided that there are two levels of homecoming. The first level is awkwardness. The reason being that you run into people that you may not expect to. I am not sure why you wouldn't expect to because Baylor has its way of being so large, yet so small at the same time. But anyways, it happens and awkward moments arise. Then there are always those people that you see that have been recently engaged, married, or maybe even had a kid...and you NEVER knew. This can sometimes create awkward moments because you realize how truly out of touch you are with those that you once called "friends." Or it creates awkward moments because you have none of that...and you realize how you have very little to connect to that person you once had so much in common with....awkward. Then there is always the question, "So what are you doing now?" This can (and most likely) creates some awkward conversations. For me it did anyways, only because I am not quite the well established person I had hoped to be at this time in my life. This may or may not have led me to "exaggerate" where I am in my life right now, only after stumbling to answer the question. This is always awkward for all involved. I tried coming up with a cool story such as follows: I created a new invention of the post-it note that is to debut next week actually...so I am kind of important to 3M right now and am rather surprised you hadn't heard.....while a good story...I just stuck with the truth...I am a college graduate living at home....sigh....Lastly, I found it awkward because there is this pull to still want to be a student and hear all the gossip, sit on the student section at the football game, and do other random things that should be strictly allowed for students, but you find yourself doing them anyways. It is hard crossing the line from Baylor student to Baylor alumni...and this poses some conundrum and awkward moments. I guess this all just takes time to perfect the art of passing from good student to good alum.....I will say that after the heat of that game on Saturday, I will pay whatever price it takes to get the shady seats...there are some perks to being an alumni...

Besides the tiny bit of awkwardness, I have decided that homecoming is pretty much the greatest invention EVER! The entire week leading up to homecoming, the Posse and I had been emailing and counting down the days. I kept saying, "College life...here we come!" And that we did!!!! My weekend was complete with Pigskin, the bonfire, a midnight snack on campus (comprised of pizza and fanta), girl talk, laughter, late nights, sleepless nights, slumber parties, dance parties, early mornings, the sound of Diet Dr. Pepper opening in the A.M., being with the posse again, waking up to familiar faces as I did for two years, early morning routine, inappropriateness, parades, more girl talk, bonding, college football, crammed car rides, back seat drivers, sonic happy hours, naps, more girl talk, more laughter, shopping, memories, awkward moments, 6 girls talking at once yet somehow understanding it all, and inside jokes! I have discovered that some things never change, and that while we may think that Baylor will never change or go on without us, in fact Baylor (and life) does go on!

Homecoming is such a wonderful time of tradition and memories, AND you get to see people that you have missed so much, so the good FAR outweighs the little annoyances of awkward moments. I really enjoyed seeing all of my friends and catching up on life! I always find myself laughing a ton when I am around these people, and it brings such joy to my heart. There is just something about homecoming that warms the heart. Maybe it is the liveliness of Pigskin, seeing old friends and professors, and being at the place that had such a huge impact on my personal growth, development, and maturity. Whatever it was, I LOVED every last second! Although, it went by WAY too fast. I found myself kept wishing it would slow down, but alas, it did not. I suppose we shall have to wait until next year to reunite again....sigh....

So this has been my past week (or so) in a nutshell. It has been a fantastic week! Homecoming and Halloween have come and gone, and this can only mean one thing: The holiday season is just around the corner!!!! I am SO excited! This week I am only working four days (one down...three to go) because I am going to work a girls conference in Oklahoma next weekend with Sage Girls Ministry. I am very excited about the opportunity to serve and minister to young girls and possibly intern with the women that run this show! Please pray that all goes well. I will update you on how the conference goes. Also, I have some exciting news that I am not ready to share with the public world of blogging yet, but stay tuned....it is GOOD!

I enjoyed seeing everyone at Homecoming and missed those of you that were not there. I send you all my love! Until next time...be blessed!

No comments: