Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Hello 2013!!!!!!

Well, the holidays have come and gone, and I am left saddened that they are gone for some reason this year. Perhaps it is the fact that I spent my first Christmas away from home or perhaps it is the fact that we were so busy with everything because it was our first Christmas without a month long break, thanks to graduation. Whatever the reason, Christmas came and went, and I found myself feeling sad as I drove home from my parents house Sunday night. I love marriage, but this growing up thing where everyone gets married and moves away has lost its lovely feeling some days. Sometimes I find myself longing for the days where it was just us three girls living under my parent's roof. Back then, things seemed complicated. Now on the other side of it, things back then seemed simpler. Yes, some days I long for those days and perhaps that is why I was saddened when Christmas season was up this year-those few days when we were all under the same roof again were comforting, if only for a while. And as much as I love Scott, I was sad when those few, short days were up. Some days, I secretly long to be a little girl playing dress up with my sisters where curls, and girls, and dolls were the most of our worries. Now its on to bigger things, grown-up things such as bills, laundry, jobs, cleaning house, and schedules. Yes, I long for those simpler days, but life must go on-I can't stay five forever. Plus, these "grown-up" days are pretty great too.

Christmas was good this year. This year we spent the weekend before Christmas and Christmas day with the Stiers in North Carolina. It was a fun time, cram packed full of movies, presents, and as always, lots of eating. Then it was back to Texas for a couple of days of Duncan family Christmas. Each experience warmed my heart-both in their unique ways, but both in ways that left me yearning for more of Christmas. As we flew home from North Carolina, Scott and I began talking about the year behind and the year ahead. With Christmas in our backpack and the New Year on the horizon, and a three hour plane ride leaving lots of room for conversation, new year's resolutions were what was on our mind and laced in our conversation. With two lawyers in the family, you can imagine the analysis that went into our New Year's Resolution list. I normally do not like resolutions, but Scott made a good point: it is good to have goals and end points in mind. It gives us something to look forward to as we start a new year and something to look back on as we reflect on the year behind us. 

As we talked, we realized that this past year has been full of blessings: we graduated from Law School, moved back to Texas, took the Texas Bar, celebrated a year of marriage, found out we passed the Texas Bar, and both accepted our first job. We traveled to Washington D.C., Myrtle Beach, SC, Minnesota, Bald Head Island, NC, and the Outer Banks, not to mention taking several day trips to parts of Virginia to see parts of our country's history. As we look forward to the upcoming year, we are excited about getting settled in Texas, starting our careers, and maybe even getting a dog (even though Scott doesn't know it yet). Each of us have made our own goals for the new year (mine includes reading 30 books, writing more, and being more positive), however, we decided to make a list of goals for the new year as a couple. My most favorite goal is: less stress, more fun, and more spontaneity. With two lawyers and a marriage that has thus far been filled with many stressful circumstances (3L year of law school, TX bar exam, moving, and finding jobs), you can imagine how much we are both looking forward to this goal. With the passing of the bar and recently moving into a new home, we are beginning to see what normal is. It is quite refreshing, and we are looking forward to more of it in the upcoming year. 

We hope that you will reflect on your past year, make goals for the new year, and above all, give thanks. Hello 2013-we are looking forward to a great year! 

Until next time....be blessed......

1 comment:

Rachel Brenke said...

Prayers for y'all as you enter this new chapter!