I traveled with Buckner International the summer after I graduated from college. It was on that trip that my life was changed forever. I had the privilege with ministering to orphans all over the country. In addition, we got the chance to do a shoe trip. It was here where we went to an orphanage, played with the kids, then surprised them with new shoes. This trip truly touched my heart. These kids had holes in their shoes. It was such a neat experience. The thing that impacted me the most was the memory that not every child got a pair of shoes that day. They lined the kids up and those that had the greatest need (aka: had not bottom left on their shoes) got new ones. It was on this trip that I was forever changed in my true understanding of who Jesus was to the least of these. It was on this trip I knew I wanted to go to law school to become an advocate for the least of these. And it was on this trip that I walked away knowing that I wanted to help get those kids that didn't get new have shoes in whatever way I could. While I have worked at the Buckner Shoe Warehouse, I wanted to do more.
I have always wanted to do a shoe drive as a result of the Guatemala trip. However, I never really knew how that could happen. When would I have the ability to gather large groups of people for the "sole" purpose of collecting shoes? Then it hit me: one day I will get married and there will likely be a lot of people there. I knew soon after getting back from Guatemala that my wedding day would be the capacity where I would have a large group of people together for one purpose willing to get me whatever I asked them to-enter shoe drive.
Because my dad is a pastor and we knew we were going to have lots of people in attendance at our wedding (and we did-around 500 to be exact), and because I had five showers, after much prayer and consideration, Scott and I decided to do the very thing I had dreamed of for years. We decided to head in full faith and do a shoe drive in lieu of gifts for our wedding. Weeks before the wedding, I would have little old ladies coming up to me saying, "I got my shoes for the wedding!" I have always known that being the preacher's daughter, it was going to be a packed house, but I did not think that the event required a new dress for those in attendance-after all, it wasn't the royal wedding (although I joked with Dad that it was...) Anyway, needless to say, it took me quite some time to figure out that the ladies at the church had not bought new dresses and new shoes for themselves, but were indeed referring to the fact that they had bought new shoes to bring to the wedding for Shoes for Orphan Souls! Such a fun event and something everyone really enjoyed! I highly recommend it-it truly was a rewarding experience.
When my parents delivered the shoe to Buckner in Austin, the lady was amazed at the amount of shoes. She contacted a Buckner writer, who contacted Dad, who contacted me, and voila! A story was written! We are truly honored. Anyway, here is a clip of our "wedding shoe" story from Buckner-hot off the press today! We hope as a result of our story that others are inspired to give, the oprhans are excited for new shoes, and that everyone is blessed as a result. And we know that none of this would have happened without those that selflessly gave shoes, so we would like to personally thank all those that did! To God be the Glory...
news.shoesfororphansouls.org/index.php/2011/09/shoe-drive-weddings/
Until next time...be blessed...and may we never forget to find ways to "pay it forward" and bless those around us in need...
No comments:
Post a Comment