Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Packed and Ready to Go...

Well, I have packed, repacked, and then crammed some more of the necessities of my life into two suitcases and am about to be off to Guatemala for the month of June. I thought that I was a pretty good packer until I realized that the weight of my "necessities" were significantly more than I expected and that it will most likely cost me an arm and leg in addition to the arm and leg I have already put down on this trip. With the new regulations set for the airlines, necessities is all that there is room for, not that I have any need for luxury on this trip. It is all about service. I am thinking about this trip excited with anticipation, but also with some reservations. I really do not know much about the trip, do not have a clue what to expect, and do not know a single person that I will be spending the next month with. While this is liberating to a certain extent, it is also slightly terrifying. I know that the Lord will use it for good and grow me as a result of this experience though.

There are some things that I am thinking about as I dive into the adventure of this cultural experience. I am going into this trip with the intentions to serve the least of these, but it is also hard for me not to hope (and pray) that I gain something from this trip. I hope to learn more about what it means to be a servant of Christ, learn so much more about myself and the Lord's plan for my life, and to grow even closer to the Lord that I am serving. I am praying that God breaks my heart for those that I a ministering to, so much that I empathize with and for them. I am praying that the Lord humbles me and that I am able to be used by Him to serve the children in the orphanage. In addition, I am praying that I can lead by example and be able to minister to those traveling with me on my team. Lastly, I am asking that the Lord opens my eyes and heart and helps me to come away from this trip with a fresh perspective on this world, my place in it, and serving the least of these than I had going into the trip. I simply want to be broken and used. These are my prayers for this trip and if you are reading this and want to pray these things with me then I would be honored and gracious if you would do so.

I hope that everyone has a great summer! If you are interested in my trip I will try to post pictures and update posts on how my trip is going. It really will depend on how much time I have to keep everyone updated and how much internet access we have where we will be. If I don't post anything, then know that when I get back I will update everyone on my trip!

Until next time...be blessed!
Mark 10:45

No comments: