So I arrived in Guatemala last night and thus far it has surpassed any expectation that I had. I have been here a little over 24 hours and already God has begun to work in my heart and in my life! Here is a brief summary of what we did today:
Our first stop was the single mothers´home. This is a home where three single mothers live with their children. They have a wonderful, loving environment and are still able to go to school. This was on of the most touching things I have ever experienced. As a mother sat there and talked about how they have Bible studies and only want to do what is best in their lives according to God, my eyes welled up with tears. These young girls have had a hard life and they are filled with such joy. It was a neat experience. As we all sat in the living room and talked, these young girls seemed so old. Then they strapped their babies in a stroller, which then sat by why their mother´s jumped onto the trampoline and began to have the time of their lives! This was truly an eye opening experience-these women are forced to be put in adult roles but they are still so young and children themselves. It truly was a great experience.
We also went to the boys and girls transitional homes. In these homes 7 boys and 7 girls live and they have a family that lives with them. They are children from the government orphanage that Buckner has taken in. Because they were so good, they have earned their spot in this home. The children told us that they love living here a lot. The girls were so fun and we played futbol with them. The boys were such gentlmen and we played basketball with them. We were so impressed to find out that these children were full of joy, well mannered, and in the top of their class at school. They have dreams and goals for their lives, and some even aspire to be doctors! This was such a humbling experience!
We also visited the baby home. Most of the children that live in this home are newborns to about 3 years old. The children that live here are mostly children that are disabled for some reason and children that no one wants. The government does not take children into orphanages if they are disabled. The children here were so sweet and they greeted us at the door with hugs, kisses, and some even jumped all over us as soon as the door was opened. It was a tiring experience, but overall, it was an experience that I will never forget. This was a greeting of a lifetime by children that did not know us, nor could they understand us, but somehow they knew that we were there to play with them and love them...and that we gladly did!
Overall, Guatemala is a great place so far. It is beautiful with perfect weather. It was cool most of the day, requiring a jacket. I have only been here a day, but I have had many realizations. In Guatemala, everyone greets each other with a kiss. This was very awkward to me at first, having people I did not know greet me with a kiss on my cheeck, but secretly I like it...haha. The people here are so friendly, welcoming, and loving. The people here are very warm hearted and I love that. The faucets here have one knob and the option is COLD. If there are two knobs for a faucet, only one works and it is COLD. It is not that bad though. The drivers and roads are crazy, the food is good. I look forward to finding out more about this culture, the people, and the land.
We leave tomorrow for Hue Hue (which is pronounced way way). It is a 6 hour drive and the roads are apparantly bad and under construction so it could take longer. Please pray for our safety and health. We will be painting a wall, running a VBS at the government orphanage here, and playing with the children. There are 96 children at this home and there are only 10 of us so it will be an interesting, but rewarding experience I am sure. Please continue to pray for me and my team! I am off to bed now! Until next time...be blessed!
1 comment:
Amy you're the woman! I'm so excited for and and I promise to be reading and praying for you as you journey.
Isaiah 26:8... YES LORD!!! Walking in your ways, I patiently wait for you. For your name and your RENOWN are the desires of our souls!
Say YES LORD... every day you get up and the promises of the Lord will come to you!
Post a Comment