Wow! Where did the month of August go? It flew by so fast and now we are almost halfway through September. I guess time flies when you are having fun! I will be honest, I am probably having a little bit too much fun for someone who just graduated college. I should be doing something productive in the "real world," whatever that means! Anyways, the past few weeks have been very encouraging and rejuvinating time for me.
A few nights ago, my dad and I sat down for a "serious conversation," or a meeting if you will. I penciled him into my schedule and we sat down for a talk. It was one of those conversations where a dad asks hard questions such as, "What are you doing with your life? What do you feel called to do? Do you really want to go to law school?" These are the questions that need to be asked, but there are days when I would much rather be on the asking end of the conversation! In the end, I left feeling encouraged, refreshed, redirected, and rather confident in my abilities. Dad's have a way of doing that...they say things like you are beautiful, talented, smart, etc. Who wouldn't feel revitalized after a conversation such as that. With affirmation being my love language, you can imagine that this was a much needed conversation for me!
I left the "meeting" being told to do three things:
1. Have more faith and trust in God's timing! (The words to be expected from a father who is a pastor doing a series on faith from the pulpit...)
2. Stop feeling sorry for yourself, no more moping, and no more pity parties because God has a plan for me! (This is easier said than done...oh successful father of mine... )
3. Get a Job! (These are just the words of a father who is probably tired of paying for his graduate daughter's groceries...)
I jest while I explain these words of wisdom, but these three goals are good advice! So now that the meeting is over, I have plan of action! This week I will finish my law school applications and wait on where the Lord places me. I will also get a job. I have decided that I am not above working at Pier 1...I may be overqualified but they have a super cute table that I have had my eye on. What better excuse than to get a fantastic discount!?! I have no kitchen to put the table in, but another thing Dad mentioned is to start buying stuff for the apartment I will one day have...I think he is trying to tell me something...
I have also decided to volunteer at the advocacy center and Texas Baptist Children's Home. If I can't get a job in something that I am qualified for, I may as well spend my extra time wisely gaining experience and pouring out my God given talents on something that I am passionate about. I have also joined a women's Bible Study at Austin Stone. I am craving community with some people my age, so hopefully this will be an outlet for that!
Lastly, I will hopefully have a car in the next week. These are not to be done in any particular order, although it would be wise to get a job before a car...although that doesn't seem logical because how will I get to the job!?! Oh the story of my life lately...nothing is happening in the right order!
So that is my plan of action. As I sit here in "the office" and write, I am overwhelmingly motivated to get myself into high gear! After the serious conversation, no more pity party! It is time to get movin! I have a big week! Going from doing hardly anything productive to being overproductive may be hard on the sleeping schedule, but hopefully it will leave me more fulfilled than sleeping and movies! Yay for the "real world!"
Until next time...be blessed!
No comments:
Post a Comment